Where Is the Rocket?

11.24.2015


I really wish this book existed when I was teaching fourth grade. Where Is the Rocket? is perfect for teaching prepositions! While it may seem a little intense to try and tackle prepositions with a two and three-year-old, positional/directional words are HUGE at this age! I am constantly using prepositional phrases with Tate…

“Lightning McQueen is under your bed.”

“Your shoes are in the ottoman.”

“The ball is behind the chair.”

“You can put your toy on the table while you eat.”

Sometimes Tate understands these phrases and knows where to look/what to do. However, I think the other words in the sentence are a big giveaway. For example, if I say “shoes” and “ottoman” it’s not hard for him to know what I’m talking about.  “Put” and “toy” and “table” also send a clear message, no preposition needed.

Next to, under, above, below, in, out, on, etc. are all examples of words that we could use a little practice with. When I read this book for the first time I knew it would be perfect to do a lesson with, especially since it’s space-themed!

We started off with pattern blocks. I found a rocket printable online and outlined the shapes in the coordinating colors to make it easier for the boys to find the right ones.


I read the book to the boys then I gave them their own little rockets. We went through the book and practiced the positional/directional words using the rocket. We practiced each word a few times and now they know all the words perfectly! Just kidding. We obviously need to revisit this and practice a little every day, but it was a fun way to have them practice following instructions using these tough prepositional words/phrases! 


After that we played a little space-themed Bingo. Then we did an ABC rocket match-up. Chase is still practicing his upper-case letters so he matched his upper-case magnets to the upper-case rockets while Tate used mini, lower-case rockets to match with.



We finished with a fun activity using their rockets and straws. I saw this idea somewhere online and followed the directions exactly but the rockets were not shooting out of the straws like they should have. The boys were struggling and even I was getting light-headed trying to get Tate’s rocket flying. Karli had the genius idea to double up on the toothpicks so there wasn’t as much space for the air to escape. This worked wonders and the boys had fun making their rockets “blast off”.


Sorry I don't have links to the printables I used. I'm not trying to steal ideas or anything, I just can't find the websites and don't even remember what I googled to find them! Mom brain.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...